I know you are all tired of hearing it, and being a Millennial myself so am I. But I can honestly say our generation has forgotten the most important thing about beginning a new relationship: Dating.
You know… Actually have someone open your car door, simply enjoying dinner and a movie, and getting lost in the night without taking a selfie of the outfit you picked out or tweeting your current location. Sounds cheesy right? But if you try it I promise it’s not that bad.
Lately I’ve been really trying to take dating in a new direction. It really gets fun when you try to be creative. Make the date a task you both have to complete which leaves no room for awkwardness. The more you’re involved in the more you will see your dates true colors, especially if you’ve required physical activity.You’re probably thinking “Great this is going to cost me a lot of money”. But all dates don’t have to. I’ve been doing some searching around and this is what I found:
- Have a picnic on the beach. – This may be one of the most simple yet underrated dates ever. However, when was the last time you did it? Learn each others likes and dislike over a basket lunch and impress your date by providing some of your home-cooked baking. If you are unfortunately live far from the beach (sorry) go to a park instead.
- Rent kayaks and paddle boards at a local park. – Most parks provided small lake activities that are very inexpensive. You will really see if you two are on the same page when sharing a kayak. If you are trying to stay dry I hope that you are.
- Have a game night. – How competitive is your date? Will he/she “let you win”? You’ll be surprised at how much you can learn about each other over a couple of board games. Include a glass of wine if you like. (Please be of age.)
- Go to a psychic reading together. -Try to picture each others future and take turns sharing what you came up with. If you can’t see positive things well, you shouldn’t be on the date in the first place. Afterwards go see an actual psychic. Most people want to but won’t, and the date will give you a reason to go.
- Go to a dressing rehearsal for a play/Broadway show. – The rehearsals can be a lot cheaper but just as entertaining. It’s a live movie!
- Take turns showing the area of your childhood. – You can really learn a lot with this one. Expose your old hangout spots and elementary schools. Don’t be afraid to share a couple classic memories. After all it is said that our childhoods really makes the person we become.
- Take a dance class lesson. – You have to be bold for this one but careful not to step on each other’s toes. Learn a new dance like swing or how to salsa. This should really bring you two close.
- Volunteer. – You’ll have really positive vibes about helping the community, especially because you’re doing it together. Best of all this can be absolutely free!
- Attend amateur night. – Why so serious? Go to watch amateurs perform which is very low priced and usually provides happy hour specials. Be amazed at how great the amateur may be or laughed together at how much they are not.
Most importantly just go out into the world and have fun! There doesn’t have to be any rules to this.